Confessions of a Hoarder

I used to think I was just being sentimental - the way that I couldn't let go of some of my stuff thinking that they would serve as...


I used to think I was just being sentimental - the way that I couldn't let go of some of my stuff thinking that they would serve as a representation of the memories and experiences that I treasure. I'm talking about things that range from those that are really of no value to those that can still actually be used by other people. However, whether they are no longer usable or I just simply don't use them, I still couldn't seem to let them go. 

Out of Storage 

One of the hard things about being a hoarder is that you always seem to lack storage. No matter how many times you buy storage, time will come that you would need another one because there would be something that needs to be stored again. Also, the space in your room will never be like the way that it is because of all the things that you keep in your room. It's like every corner of my room, I have already placed something that I really no longer use. Although I always find room in my space to store the things I couldn't let go of, at the end, my room just gets crowded and crowded every time. 

"I might use this someday" 

The biggest enemy of a person trying to not be a hoarder is the 'I might use this' mentality. The only reason why I couldn't seem to let go of my stuff (Aside from that it serves as memories) is because of this. Whenever I am to decide whether I throw out or give away my stuff, the main consideration that I have is if I'm still going to use it. And somehow, I always seem to convince myself that it may still come in handy even though deep inside, I know that it won't. It sucks, really but I just can't seem to get away from this mentality. Whether it's with clothes that I haven't worn in months already, an outdated accessory, and even my notes from the classes that I took in college! I always think that hey, these may come in handy someday! Like as if I believe that those things are gonna come and save my life in the future that's why it's just so important for me that I keep them.. ugh! 

Trash...so much trash 

Obviously, when you're a hoarder, you end up with so much trash. A lot of them. Although you may not realize it at first because you have somehow convinced yourself that those things are really worth keeping, the truth is, all you really have is just a bunch of trash that will sooner or later just be thrown out ant replaced by another set of trash. It's the dirty truth in being a hoarder. It stinks! (Haha, get it get it.)

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't tried to kick this habit out of my system already. I even made an online shop to sell my clothes and other stuff that I no longer use just so I can finally get rid of them by also making money. But every time someone inquires about my stuff, I start to double think and think to myself that hey... maybe I still need this. And yup, I ended up discontinuing that shop. So hey, I'm back again to my dilemma! I just hope I get to solve this bad habit though. 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Ah I would have to agree with the feeling!! i'm not a hoarder of clothes, but it's just hard for me to let go of some old stuff that feels sentimental hehehe :)

    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I don't really just hoard clothes hahah i'm afraid i'd hoard almost anything! :(

      Delete
  2. HUHU I'm a hoarder too! I don't have space in my room anymore yet I still can't find anything to wear on some days. And just like you, I started an online shop but felt the same way. One time someone was inquiring about my hair curler and I thought, no. I might need it in the future? Reality : Haven't used it for a year--actually ever.

    I plan of reviving the shop this Christmas so I can finally get rid of all the clothes. This time I reallv HAVE to since I'm super low on closet space :(

    Ochi | Ochi In The City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha aahhh i'm not alone! Ang hira diba! It feels like you're attached to your things and you just couldn't let them go no matter how hard you want to! HAHAHA

      Delete
  3. I'm the same about everything! As much as I covet that minimalist life, I'm always too sentimental about stuff or I always keep thinking I'm gonna use it someday even though I now in the back of my mind that I won't, lol. But, I guess, we're not *that* bad =)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Even though we know that we're just trying to make excuses for ourselves so that we wouldn't throw out or give away something, we still end up falling for our own excuses haha!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha same sentiments here! If only I had the closet all to myself pero share kami ng sister ko! Fuu. And the "I might use this someday" mentality is so on point din! Ganyan din ako but I always end up not using them anyway. Haha

    xx, Janine | A Blissful Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha upside lang with sharing a closet with your sister, at least you have someone to borrow clothes from! I've always wanted to have a sister so that we could share our clothes but I never really got one so I just end up borrowing my brother's and making it like yung mga boyfriend's stuff look HAHAHA

      Delete

Flickr Images