Discover: Her Film Review

Source Just recently I stumbled upon a list made by  Taste of Cinema   on the 25 most visually stunning films for the past years. Among...

Source
Just recently I stumbled upon a list made by Taste of Cinema on the 25 most visually stunning films for the past years. Among the list, one of them wast this movie, Her (2011) by Spike Jonze. Without really knowing much about it, I decided to watch it merely because I was curious on what was the reason behind on why it made it to the list.
Apparently, the movie was about a man who fell in love with an operating system. Yep, an individualized operating system. If you think that our technology now is already advanced, well here in the movie, it's even more advanced. There are no more place for keyboards in this movie! It's all just touch screens and voice recognition. It's like Siri 10 years from now haha! The operating system, being that it is individualized, has become more than just an operating system. It's like a human that has taken the form of an operating system. You can literally just talk to it like as if it was a friend, and the way it replies to you, you wouldn't even feel like you're talking to a computer. The way it interacts with you depends on who you are and what kind of person you are. I swear, it's really like having a friend who is there for you 24/7 - anytime and anywhere - literally. No surprise he fell in love with his operating system. 
Source
Just a few minutes into the movie, I was already mesmerized by it. It was just the first scene and they already got me. They really deserves to be a part of the list. One thing I noticed with their visuals was their play of colors. Just a theory, I noticed most of the time that the main character wears a bright color that would pop out from a monochromatic scene. Also, there are times when he is in conflict with another character on a scene, then they will be both wearing contrasting colors. I don't really know if it actually means something, but I feel like it does haha! I think one of the main contributors on why it was included in the list was because of the play of colors. It's really a well-thought of movie. 

Speaking of colors, I also noticed that when the main character wears bright colors, it's mostly just red, orange, and yellow. I think the colors say a lot more than we think it does in this film. Perhaps, the color represent what the character is feeling at the moment? Though again I'm not really sure, I just have a feeling that it does. When I searched for the meaning of colors red, orange and yellow, some of their meanings include passion, sexual desire, joy and jealousy - which are just some of the emotions that I'm pretty sure the character have felt in the movie.
Source
So if you're going to ask me, is the movie worth the time? Definitely! It was not just visually stunning, it also had depth in it. I think one of the things that it's trying to tell its audience is how dangerous technology can get. I mean, there might come a time when people would become disconnected at all with each other since they already found comfort on something that isn't real. It's like they are able to escape reality and all its dramas with the company of their operating system. On the other side though, I think it also tries to tell us how love has no barriers. Like you literally cannot choose who you fall in love with - which is really cute, but also really weird if we're talking about falling in love with operating systems haha! But then again, it's love.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I'm kinda intrigued by the plot! haha thanks for sharing :>

    dearchubby.wix.com/marp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really nice! I hope you find time to see it :)

      Delete
  2. If you like Her (which I did). I recommend Ex Machina. You'll like it, even love it. I really did love Her. It's sweet at some parts and at the same time is a movie about moving on. Love is love, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love this movie! I'll definitely add that to my reading list :)

      Delete

Flickr Images